Explore the unique Japanese tradition,
Casually, in an Authentic Way!
Gen-an is a hideaway traditional Tea-Room located 2 minutes walk from Ginkaku-ji(Silver Pavilion) in Kyoto, Japan.
We are holding the casual sessions for beginners on Saturdays and Sundays.
Enjoy the experience just like a real authentic tea party, using the real tea garden and the real tearoom.
In the tea-room, the host demonstrate you the traditional preparing procedure, you attend as a guest, and after that you can make your own tasty matcha tea with a bamboo whisk.
- Do you like Matcha green tea and Japanese sweets?
- You can enjoy both!
- Interested in tea ceremony but thinking it might be difficult?
- The guide will attend on you!
- Interested in it as a Samurai flavor?
- Samurai enjoyed very much tea ceremony since more than 400 yrs ago. Experience and feel the atmosphere of Samurai spirit!
- Like ceramic ware?
- We use tea bowls of various ceramics, you can drink tea using one of them.
- Want a healing calm time between sightseeing?
- It's in a quiet area. Please feel the sound of the procedure, sometimes with birds and frogs singing outside...
- Want to have a good time memories with friends and family?
- You can take photos also when you are making your own tea.
- Want to enjoy Japanese traditional culture together with Japanese people?
- Session is shared seated to the international people, held in Japanese language and available also with easy English.
The guide will attend to you throughout the experience.
The host will teach how to make Foamy Matcha.
Experience casually, in an authentic way of tea near Ginkaku-ji in Kyoto!